JOB TITLE: Programming Clerk (Republican Party)
SALARY: $22.28/hour (min. 40 hours/week). Overtime hours when required/necessary. The position is eligible for health insurance coverage and OPERS benefits.
JOB TYPE: Full-time, unclassified.
JOB LOCATION: Portage County Administration Building
449 South Meridian Street, Room 101
Ravenna, OH 44266
The Programming Clerk of the Board of Elections attends to the needs of the public and the Board by providing high-quality services to ensure a seamless and trustworthy voting experience in the election process. Perform all projects, functions, and duties as assigned by the Members of the Board of Elections, Director, and Deputy Director.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely data entry of voter registration changes of name and address.
- Program, proof, and prepare election ballots with bi-partisan team member.
- Assist in the preparation, testing, and reconciliation of results of the voting equipment.
- Assist in the reconciliation of votes, recounts, and post-election audit.
- Maintain and update precinct lines, street segments, and house number ranges.
- Ensure all voting equipment is in proper working order and charged regularly.
- Organize election supplies and prepare supply lists for election day supplies.
- Responsible for taking in, reviewing, scanning/filing, auditing, and following up on all campaign finance reports.
- Prepare training materials and manuals for the rovers.
- Assist on election night in the voting room while precinct election officials return their election supplies.
- Prepare the candidate filing book for each election.
- Assist with the accessibility assessments of the polling locations.
- Order office and election supplies.
- Prepare polling location layouts, supplies, delivery truck boxes, and rover kits.
- Assist the public, candidates and elected officials with professionalism and answer election-related questions.
- Prepare reports and create forms as required.
- Assist in the acceptance, processing, and reviewing of the validity and sufficiency of all part petitions.
- Must maintain confidentiality and business integrity.
- Attend continuing education classes as required.
- Follow the records retention schedules as required by the Board and Secretary of State.
- Perform all other duties assigned, delegated or required including those prescribed by law, rule, or Directive.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ability to excel in task management and planning.
- Ability to learn, understand, and utilize the county voting system and voter registration system.
- Ability to learn and understand and adhere to the physical security and cybersecurity guidelines set by the county and the State of Ohio.
- Ability to prepare and carry out project planning and implementation.
- Applies excellent interpersonal skills, which include effective verbal and written communication.
- Manages workflow and meets all deadlines and priorities set by the Directors.
- Meet requirements set by the Secretary of State.
- Demonstrates a continuing willingness to work extended hours to meet deadlines.
- Registered to vote and affiliated with the Republican Party.
- Possession of at least a high school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Must be PC literate with a command of the Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility, and dependability.
- Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure.
- Must demonstrate the ability to effectively enter data.
- Demonstrates a professional attitude and appearance.
- Must possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License and be able to drive during daylight and evening hours.
- Compliance with all other Portage County employment eligibility requirements.
Election Related Experience and Skills:
- Operation of voting machines used in Portage County and other automated office equipment, including but not limited to copiers, faxes, computers and printers.
- Assistance of any person, without regard to that person’s political affiliation, asking for information within the Board’s jurisdiction, including public records requests.
- Ability to receive and implement assignments and instructions.
- Must maintain an ongoing understanding of changes in Federal and State Statutory Requirements affecting the election process.
General Experience and Skills:
- Possess effective written and interpersonal communication abilities.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Adaptability and performance under stressful or emergency conditions.
- Comprehension of a variety of informational documents.
- Professionalism and courtesy at all times.
Difficulty of Work
- Work involves moderately complex to complex, standardized tasks, processes and operations following established laws and procedures.
- Supervisor provides general direction in following established practices and clear-cut policies. Incumbent makes general decisions regarding work independently. Errors in work may cause inaccuracies in reports, records, or technical data resulting in inaccurate or incomplete information.
Personal Work Relationships
- Incumbent has contact with co-workers, employees in the department, public and private sector employees, and the general public.
Physical Effort and Work Environment
- Incumbent performs light to medium work which may require lifting up to forty-five (45) pounds occasionally.
- Incumbent performs the following physical activities: stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Incumbent performs work where the seeing job is close to the eyes and on a computer screen.
- The incumbent works primarily inside with minimal exposure to the outdoors and adverse environmental conditions.
Interested parties should submit a cover letter describing how their qualifications meet the requirements for the position, a current resume with three references, and complete the Portage County Employment Application Form. All employment submissions must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 1, 2023, to be considered.
All job offers are made with the understanding that the prospective employee must pass a drug test, criminal background investigation and motor vehicle record check prior to being hired. A proficiency and skills assessment will be part of the interview process. The Portage County Board of Elections is an equal opportunity employer; smoke-free and drug-free workplace.
Correspondence should be directed to the Portage County Board of Elections by one of the following methods:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online through the Portage County Human Resources Application Portal: portagecounty-oh.gov/human-resources/pages/job-opportunities
- Mail: Portage County Board of Elections, 449 S. Meridian St., Room 101, Ravenna, OH 44266