As Ohio’s Secretary of State, Frank LaRose is doing his part to deliver a thriving democracy and a prosperous economy for all Ohioans. In his role as the state’s chief elections officer, he is working to ensure that Ohio’s elections are both secure and accessible. And, as the first stop for new businesses in the Buckeye State, he is assisting entrepreneurs as they receive articles of incorporation for a new business.
What You’ll Do:
The Ohio Secretary of State is currently seeking candidates for an Elections Special Projects and Training Manager. Under direct supervision of Elections Administrator, you will:
- Assist in planning, implementing, providing support & administering special projects associated with Elections Division including the Board Appointment and Reorganization Process, New Election Official Training & Mentorship programs, and precinct election official training programs
- Plan, implement & administer special projects associated with summer conference, continuing legal education, conferences & trainings related to the Elections Division
- Coordinate precinct election official continuing education credits from external organizations to the boards of elections
- Assist in providing liaison services to county Board of Elections & other constituents to resolve concerns & identify resolutions to issues
- Manage and organize Election Night Reporting (ENR): assist in the development of requirements for enhancing and updating the ENR applications; coordinate with the Information Technology division to ensure application is properly prepared and tested for each election; train staff to assist with duties related to Election Night Reporting; provide instructions and relevant information to the boards for the submission of results; administer the election reporting process to gather and proof the unofficial and official results from the boards of election; prepare final results for certification by the Secretary of State
- Provide technical assistance and training with software applications to internal & external users; load training content to software application; assist with testing software applications to include online poll worker training application, election night reporting system application, and centralized ballot tracking system application
- Supervise the staff maintaining board records including member appointments, board directories, training records, board minutes and other duties as described; ensures staff meets critical deadlines.
- Manage the candidate and issue petition intake process; train staff on the proper review and processing of the petitions; perform quality assurance on the scanning and recording of petition information; assist with the transmitting of petitions to the boards of elections; review and verify the accuracy of submitted certifications from the boards; and coordinate the release of such information.
What’s in it for you:
At the State of Ohio, we take care of the team that cares for Ohioans. We provide a variety of quality, competitive benefits to eligible full-time and part-time employees. For a list of all the State of Ohio Benefits, visit our Total Rewards website! Our benefits package includes:
• Quality, affordable, and competitive medical benefits are offered through the available Ohio Med plans.
Dental, Vision and Basic Life Insurance
• Dental, vision, and basic life insurance premiums are free after completed eligibility period. Length of eligibility period is dependent on union representation.
- Time Away From Work and Work/Life Balance
- Paid time off, including vacation, personal, and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays per year
- Childbirth/Adoption leave
- Employee Development Funds
- The State of Ohio offers a variety of educational and professional development funding that varies based on whether you are a union-exempt employee or a union-represented employee.
Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
• OPERS is the retirement system for State of Ohio employees. The employee contributes 10% of their salary towards their retirement. The employer contributes an amount equal to 14% of the employee’s salary. Visit the OPERS website for more information.
• The Ohio Deferred Compensation program is a 457(b) voluntary retirement savings plan. Visit the Ohio Deferred Compensation website for more information.
Ohio is a Disability Inclusion State and strives to be a Model Employer of Individuals with disabilities. The State of Ohio is committed to providing access and inclusion and reasonable accommodation in its services, activities, programs and employment opportunities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other applicable laws.
Qualifications – External
To succeed in this position, you will have:
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency with elections
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of educating adult learners and the ability to create and present solid training programs
- Experience managing, coaching and guiding a team of people
- Extraordinary project management and organizational skills
Major Worker Characteristics (For External & Internal)
We require candidates to have the following Education and Experience to be considered for this position:
- High school diploma or GED
- 3-5 years of experience in customer service and elections
- Experience managing a team of people
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, Teams) and various database software applications
Supplemental Information (For External & Internal)
This position is Unclassified per ORC 124.11 (A) (30)
Background Check Information
The final candidate selected for this position will be required to undergo a criminal background check. Criminal convictions do not necessarily preclude an applicant from consideration for a position. An individual assessment of an applicant’s prior criminal convictions will be made before excluding an applicant from consideration.
The final applicant selected for this position will be required to submit to urinalysis prior to an appointment to test for illegal drug use.
APPLY HERE –