Job Title: Director/Deputy Director (Republican)
Reports to: Board Chair, Greene County Board of Elections
Job Status: Unclassified/FLSA Exempt Professional /Full Time
Working Hours: 80 Hours Bi-Weekly, M-F, 8:00a-4:30p (Will Increase & Vary During Election Cycle)
Salary Range: TBD
Nature of Work in Classification
The Director/Deputy Director of the Board of Elections is a highly responsible administrative management position involving the performance in both administering and managing daily operations and elections in the County. The Director/Deputy Director performs work of considerable difficulty planning, directing, coordinating and controlling overall operations of the Board of Elections to ensure all law requirements, goals and objectives are accomplished. Hours of operation will vary during election cycles including evenings, weekends and holidays. Must be adaptable and must be able to perform in stressful environment, emergency situations and extensive work hours. Computer skills are required. Serves at the pleasure of the Members of the Board and the Ohio Secretary of State.
Essential Functions of the Position
In addition to consistent and reliable attendance, the following duties are normal for this classification. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
1. Prepare and conduct all primary, general and special elections held in the county.
2. Plan and recommend for Board approval the establishment of new voting precincts; maintain and update county precinct mapping and street information.
3. Plan and analyze programs for recruiting and training precinct officials.
4. Manage a successful, efficient and secure database for voter registrations and election results.
5. Plan and execute the validation of the candidate and local option petitions for Board approval.
6. Execute all functions of auditing campaign finance reports.
7. Supervise the processing of voter records.
8. Keep a full and true record of the proceedings of the board and all moneys received and expended.
9. File and preserve in the board office all orders, records and reports pertaining to the administration of voter registrations and elections. Exercise record destruction activities in accordance with adopted procedures.
10. Prepare agenda, minutes and documents necessary for board meetings.
11. Perform all fiscal activities, including but not limited to: AR, AP, payroll, budget development, budget analysis, tracking of election expenses and calculating charge backs to political subdivisions.
12. Maintain inventory and chain of custody records of all assets belonging to the Board.
13. Review all Directives, Advisories, Memoranda, correspondence and materials issued by the Secretary of State and take actions as required by those communications.
14. Supervise and instruct Board employees, assign work, and coordinate activities.
15. Perform human resource management activities in compliance with laws, regulations and policies; recruit, interview and make recommendations concerning hiring, responsibilities, and compensation; orient and train employees; evaluate employee performance; make recommendations concerning discipline and discharge of Board employees; track employee attendance.
16. Ensure polling locations are secured for each election and ADA surveys are conducted; coordinate access and set-up of elections with polling locations.
17. Maintain voting equipment maintenance logs, logic/accuracy testing and allocation records.
18. Perform superior customer relations. Assume a key role as the center of communication between and among personnel, vendors, county and community partners, media, voters, elected officials/jurisdictions and the Ohio Secretary of State.
19. Develop and implement procedural and technical improvements; prepare long and short-range operating plans; create, review and/or up-date protocols, i.e., operations, security, election administration.
20. Respond to common public information requests and document accordingly.
21. Perform in a professional manner under stressful conditions and emergency situations including the ability to be calm, flexible and adaptable.
22. Perform duties in conjunction with the bi-partisan counter-part (Director/Deputy Director) as required.
23. Other related duties, functions and responsibilities as designated by the Greene County Board of Elections and/or the Ohio Secretary of State.
• Effective written and interpersonal communication skills (including listening skills). • Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
• Familiarity with relevant state and federal labor law, human resource policies and practices. • Ability to perform duties as assigned.
• Ability to convey or exchange information.
• Ability to adapt and to perform in a professional manner under stressful or emergency situations.
• Ability to read and comprehend a variety of informational documents.
• Ability to conduct self at all times in a professional and courteous manner.
• Must be able to travel as required. Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Education
• Must have a high school diploma or GED. College level education is preferred.
• Must have management/leadership experience, 5+ years preferred.
• Must possess experience in budget development and management.
• Must display effective written and interpersonal communication abilities.
• Must be able to use basic mathematics.
• Must be able to perform data entry and possess computer skills sufficient to navigate through multiple programs, including, but not limited to: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point.
• Must be able to convey or exchange information with professionalism.
• Must have a familiarity of relevant state and federal employment laws.
• Must have the ability to read and comprehend a variety of technical and informational documents.
• Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to work with complex and confidential information.
• Possess a baseline understanding, or the ability to learn, the rules, processes, procedures and equipment used in local election administration.
• Must be adaptable.
• Must be able to perform in stressful environments, emergency situations and extensive work hours.
• Must have strong professional and courteous customer relations skills.
• Must have a valid Ohio Driver’s license and a good driving record.
• Experience with elections is encouraged.
Must be a registered voter with Republican affiliation as required by the Ohio Revised Code.
Items listed are normal for this classification; however, the list is not to be construed as exclusive or allinclusive. Telephones, Computers, Copiers, Scanners, Fax Machines, Calculator/Adding Machine, Voting Machines, Ballot Printers, Mail Processing Equipment
The following physical demands are typically exhibited by position incumbents performing this job’s essential duties and responsibilities. These physical demands are not, and should not be construed to be job qualification standards, but are illustrated to help the employer, employee and/or applicant identify tasks where reasonable accommodations may need to be made when an otherwise qualified person is unable to perform the job’s essential duties because of an ADA disability. • Ability to sit, stand, stoop, crouch reach and grasp for a significant amount of time. • Ability to lift 25 pounds.
• Ability to keyboard at a computer terminal for long periods of time.
• Vision demands include normal vision requirements, including viewing computer screen requiring close focus.
• Possess physical endurance to work long hours (8+) per day, for consecutive days (including evenings, weekends and holidays) and for multiple weeks during an election cycle.
# # #
Greene County is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Workplace. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
# # #
To apply, complete an online application at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/greeneoh